BAPTISM POLICY FOR THE
ST. LAWRENCE CATHOLIC COMMUNITY
1. Anyone wishing to have a child baptized at St. Lawrence is to be registered with the parish.
2. Anyone wishing to have a child baptized at St. Lawrence will attend Mass regularly.
3. Anyone wishing to have a child baptized at St. Lawrence must choose godparents according to the following directives of the Archdiocese of Louisville and Canon Law:
Sponsors: only one godfather or one godmother or one godmother and one godfather.A sponsor is to be Catholic, at least sixteen years of age, who has been confirmed and has celebrated the sacrament of Eucharist.
A sponsor must lead a life in harmony with the faith (a practicing Catholic) and understand the role to be undertaken.
A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic community may be a witness to baptism together with a Catholic godparent.
4. At least one month prior to the baptism godparents must present a letter
from their pastor stating they are active members of their parish.
5. Anyone wishing to have a child baptized who is seven years or older must
meet with the Director of Religious Education regarding the Christian
Initiation of Children.
* The appropriate time to initiate children into the faith, as prescribed by Canon 852 and according to Statute # 18 in the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, is when a child has reached the age of reason – generally considered to be age 7. The Rite decrees that children ages 7 – 17 who desire baptism should be fully initiated (i.e., they should also receive confirmation and the Eucharist).
6. Anyone wishing to have a child baptized at St. Lawrence will attend a Parent
Meeting prior to the Baptism.
7. The Pastor will usually celebrate Baptisms in the context of the Sunday Liturgies.
8. Any variations will be with the pastor’s permission.